As I experience life as a wife, mother, daughter, sister, and friend, I am constantly challenged.

I am an emotional person!

I cry at every sappy movie, I physically empathize with the suffering, I get super excited at weddings, maybe more so than the bride herself, I get frustrated to the point of wanting to punch things, I can't sleep when babies are about to be born, and I uncontrollably talk out loud during tense and awkward scenes at the movies.
I experience life with my whole being... my own life, the lives of my loved ones, the lives of fictional characters on the big screen...

Lately, I find myself wondering, "Am I really experiencing LIFE the way I want to?"

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

DETACHMENT

So mentally, I have been in a funny place lately. Common themes continue to resurface as my mind tries to grab hold of them. One that has persisted over the last few weeks has been the idea that if we detach ourselves from the fruit of our actions, we will be more at peace with what we do in any given day, any given circumstance. I first encountered this theme while reading Eckhart Tolle's "A New Earth" and then I saw it again while reading Gretchen Rubin's "The Happiness Project" and to complete the tri-fecta, my yoga instructor's message last night was just that...be free of attachment to the fruit of your actions.
Now this can be applied to a variety of things, but I found myself applying it to how I constantly have expectations of how things will go and when they do not happen, I am literally thrown into a downward spiral of emotions. The worst part is that I am usually unaware that those expectations exist until i realize that what I wanted to happen did not happen and that is why I am feeling negative, impatient, frustrated.

If I can only develop a habit where I can comfort myself and say "It's OK Beck! you can try your best, but in the end what happens doesn't really matter." Hmm not sure if that is comfort or if that is throwing me on my head, but I do believe if that I can go through a given day, telling myself, "It's OK!" when my two year old has to walk around all morning with wet shorts because you forgot (in my mind I am saying "you should have")to pack a spare pair in case of a pee accident. Or "It's OK!" when I've slaved in the kitchen to have one or both of my boys throw their food on the floor and think it is so hysterical. Or if I can just say "It's OK because you've done your best and what happens happens."

I'll work on it!

1 comment:

  1. Don't you love when they throw the food on the floor? It's completely deflating. And wet shorts? That's what Target is for. :0) Maybe it's less of "It's ok, you tried your best" and more of a "it's ok the I lost this battle - - because I'm going to win the [parenting] war." If they're happy, and able to laugh with reckless abandon, then you've obviously done something right! I think happy kids are a direct reflection of what they see in YOU. You're doing a fabulous job raising two fabulous little boys!

    ReplyDelete